4Minute's Manila Showcase


I've written my pieces on OMGKPOP and The Kpop Nation but those were all very news-y - no biases, little comments here and there. But this post is different - none of that journalistic crap. This is what I REALLY thought of the showcase.

The girls were here and I don't necessarily like them but they're Korean and I had to cover the event for OMGKPOP and The Kpop Nation. Did I have fun? No, I didn't.

I don't like 4Minute to start with and I wasn't really gonna go but as the showcase drew nearer, I said why not. So I told the blogs I write for that I was going and asked for some kind of press pass to help get me a good spot. They didn't work though. At least Allkpop wasn't on the supposed 'press list' as well - I would've blown up if they were.

The staff members I talked to were uninterested and glare-y and it's like they didn't want the press coverage. I don't think they know how many people internationally visit the blogs I write for and how a damn good review along the blogs circuits can make a difference. It's not that I'm saying this just because I didn't get a front-row spot or had to buy an EP I didn't really want just to get in, it's that the staff didn't seem like they were interested in the event.

So I got in an hour before the concert was supposed to start. I was in the supposed VIP section about halfway in and I couldn't get any further in. Crap support act singing crap covers I don't even want to mention and cheap hosts speaking wannabe American English.

I was surrounded by a couple of wannabes and fanboys singing Hot Issue in what they thought was Korean when it actually wasn't. If you can't sing it, do your research before you go a to a concert and start screaming along to the singing.

The announcer guy got some terms REALLY wrong but I can't really remember so I won't bother.

So I was there and the girls finally came on stage at around 5:30 only to mime about 85% of the time. I'm not really sure if they mimed their cover of Stick Wit U but either way, I wasn't really interested in watching - I just shot the video and took pictures for the articles I had to write.

Gah. Media from the showcase:

PICTURES














VIDEOS








My more 'professional' articles are on OMGKPOP and The Kpop Nation.

1 comments:

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing