After School - Bang!


Like I said, Because of You made me actually like After School - if it wasn't for their sub-par/shrill vocals, they'd probably be one of my favorite girl groups. This new single is rather.. different. But it's grown on me since I first heard it.

I like the fact that they have a rather different concept, as opposed to the dark image that's spreading around girl groups and boybands alike, and I like that they clearly made an effort to make this work.

When I first heard the song in full, I was a bit iff-y - the structure and concept are pretty clear, yes, but sonically the song was a mess. You have these very intense verses and marching band/cheerleader chants and then suddenly out of nowhere this middle 8 sprouts out. It's not even a break down, it's like it's part of a completely different song. When I was listening to it for the first time and I heard the first few measures, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder where the other song on the teaser is." Then it came out as the middle 8 and I was like "WHAT?!?!?"

HOWEVER, the verses are very strong - they really bring across the intensity of the rest of the song. And I LOVE the percussion part throughout, I love how it's actually marching band and apparently, the girls can perform it. I'm not sure if it's just a small bit or the entire thing, but here's a practice video of 2 of the members:
Damn.

To a certain extent, I'm pleased that the song is mainly chanting, rapping and the like, mainly because After School aren't the best vocalists in my book. They can pull of melodies, yeah, but live they falter and I'd like to see a strong live performance for this song, since it calls for it. I would've liked it if they had better vocals and a more melodic song, but that would be asking too much from After School. I do hope the new girl (Lizzy I believe) actually has a voice though. *fingers crossed*

4.1/5

5 comments:

  1. In my opinion, nothing beats Ah!
    Maybe BANG comes second because in a way, it feels like it relates to an After School club concept.
    Then Because of You.
    And lastly, the dreaded Diva that bought UEE.

    Can you vote for something on my blog please?
    http://nynyonline.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/new-blog-name-vote/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one who was a bit underwhelmed. What the teaser promises & what is delivered is two different songs (it is a really catchy song, so I guess it does what its meant to do).

    If they can somehow give a SPECTACULAR live performance, then maybe I’ll LOVE it vs. just liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the energy in this track.

    I've heard marching band bits mixed in with other pop before (country/pop shea fisher-don't chase me) but that was with loud guitars heheh or mixed with hiphop, so this was quite cool hearin what kpop could do with it.

    And that random breakdown/switch/changeup call it what you want i thought was killer haha love how it came from nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Those girls look hot. I wish I had sometihng more insightful to say but they remind me of SNSD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nyny - lol. I never really liked AS until 'Because of You'. haha.

    Anthony - By the stuff I've seen, they can't pull the song off live. Like any other single they put out. *sigh*

    random sunrize - hahah.

    J.Mensah - LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing