[#24] M&N (Miryo and Narsha) - "오늘밤"

From: "오늘밤"
Released: November
Territory: South Korea
Previous Best of Entries: First Appearance
Other notable song(s) from 2013: n/a

When "오늘밤" came out I was pretty oblivious to what was happening in K-Pop outside of releases, so I'm not really sure how this was received as far as charting or fan response goes, but what I do know is that it's a song I really, really like. I'm one of the minority who didn't drool over BEG's album this year -- I understand it and I think musically it's a great album, but I just didn't like it, apart from a few tracks -- so I was curious to see what this sub-unit would come up with.

"오늘밤" is something I can't imagine four-piece BEG doing simply because this is not their style, nor does it bring out the best in all four of them. However, it does capitalize on Narsha and Miryo's strengths. Narsha's voice is very smooth, it's soft and feminine, plus she has a beautiful falsetto. You hear all of that in the song, because that's how it's supposed to be. The melody is gentle, it's girly and it's execution gives the rest of the song the grace it needs. Because the rest of the song, if it's not kicking and screaming, is kicking at the very least. Miryo's rap parts are, in standard Miryo fashion, confident and loud -- a stark, but very much welcome, contrast to Narsha's vocals. The arrangement is similar -- the drum line is very prominent, it sounds very sharp and imposing throughout the song, and when the piano line shows up it comes in sharp, very snappy.

The result of combining everything into "오늘밤" is a beautiful song with just the right balance of grace and spunk. This is something I could listen to over, and over, and over again right now, or listen to years later and still see the beauty of.

-----
If you follow me on Twitter @noxrivera, please also follow @popreviewsnow -- all updates on the blog, especially this countdown, will go there from now on! ^_^ (But personal opinions and general fangirling will still be on @noxrivera)

2 comments:

  1. It's a pity that the song is so short. Narsha's voice is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I didn't realize that the MV only contains a small part of the whole song. But the song itself it's still very good.

      Delete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing