Girls Aloud vs. The Saturdays. Vocally.

You've read my intro, watched the videos, now it's time to read my thoughts. Let the showdown of the British girl groups begin!

10 girls, 10 different voices but each girl in both groups has a certain persona - they all give both groups the dimension and talent to make them worthy of their success. There's no one in the groups who's boring and each voice complements the rest, without any one of them neither GA nor The Sats will be who they are.

Please be advised, this is in no particular order!

The BIG voice

The girls who get the most lines, 90% of the ad-libs at the end and are what they call the 'lead singers' in Korea. It's unsaid but I really think these are the 'lead singers'.

Girls Aloud: Nadine Coyle
This girl has the big, show-stopping voice - she's known for her predominantly rich and deep timbre. Nadine, like Jonghyun SHINee, gives the group another dimension because you have got to put her only slightly auto-tuned vocals to contrast the rest of the group's heavily processed ones on songs like Untouchable and you need her intensity to balance off the other fours' subtlety on songs like The Loving Kind. In short, Nadine has a gorgeous voice and although it may not personally be my favorite in the band, you need her in Girls Aloud - without her GA is not GA.

The Saturdays: Vanessa White
The only similarity Vanessa has with Nadine vocally is the fact that they both have the big voices in their respective bands. Vanessa has a much smoother voice and this all boils down to personal taste now - I prefer hers over Nadine's but that's purely my opinion. Her voice is a lot more fitting for the stuff The Sats are doing and may I just say, this girl knows how to sing her head off - properly. Unlike a lot of other singers we know.

The SMOOTH voice

The description is enough - these girls are the mediators, the ones who balance off the rest of their band member's colorful and sometimes even outrageous voices. Even if they don't get as much attention as some, you can't go without these girls, you really can't.

Girls Aloud: Kimberly Walsh
The first thing that pops into my head when I hear Kimberly's vocals is that she enunciates really well. ANYWAY. Her vocals are smooth, very smooth. They're so smooth that if you auto-tune them it still kinda sounds similar to when you just use the 'regular' amount of auto-tune. But really, she has a beautiful voice that gets overlooked by Nadine's gigantic one and Sarah's screaming - I wish she got a heck of a lot more solo lines! No really, you listen to GA songs and I think the problem with her is that her voice is so smooth that producers don't want it and think it's a little too boring for the material, which it's not. HOWEVER, that broadway thing she did for Passions was jaw-dropping for me.

The Saturdays: Frankie Sandford
Frankie, Frankie, Frankie. This girl's voice has always been smooth - since she was in S Club 8 she got the most solo lines because their songs needed smooth voices, it was dance-y for crap's sake! Hahah. I first noticed exactly how damn smooth her voice was and still is when I heard Just Can't Get Enough - her first line really made the entire song for me vocally. On Forever Is Over she sounds a little whine-y during her solos but over-all she pretty much just sounds older - her voice is STILL smooth.

The predominantly PRETTY FACE

These two girls can sing, they really can but they're not as good as their other band mates. For me personally, they're the ones who bring the MOST 'attitude' or anything not directly related to actually singing. But they can sing, why else are they in the bands?

Girls Aloud: Cheryl Cole
Compared to the other members, Cheryl's probably the least vocally capable. She's better than a lot of other singers, which is why she's in Girls Aloud and she sings those R&B numbers very well but after you hear Nadine and Nicola, she just pales in comparison. There are times when I think her voice gets a little to whine-y but there are also times when I think her voice is jut gorgeous - it's just that she's inconsistent. Fight For This Love is pretty good vocally (NOT musically and you guys know that) but I believe that once Nicola hopefully gets some solo stuff out, Cheryl will be blown completely out of the water.

The Saturdays: Mollie King
Mollie isn't JUST a pretty face either, but if you don't take how she matches The Saturdays' songs into context and just take her as a singer, I wouldn't be too impressed. HOWEVER if you listen to her vocals on Work (I believe she gets the most airtime on that - the entire first verse), they match the song very well. It once again boils down to the fact that she can only sing a few types of songs and not everything you throw at her BUT she does what she can pretty damn well.

The ROCK CHIK

Rockers - they do their fair share of screaming (Sarah mainly) and the name pretty much says it all.

Girls Aloud: Sarah Harding
Sarah's voice is a little shrill for me, enough said. But the girl can sing and she has a high voice but it doesn't have a deep timbre like Nadine or a very, very smooth one with equally smooth delivery like Kimberly - Sarah just can't help but let loose. There are times when that can be an especially good thing but there are also times for me when it can get a little annoying. However she has her own niche in the group and kudos to her for sticking to it!

The Saturdays: Una Healey
What I like about Una is the fact that she isn't just a rocker - she can do the ballads and the dance stuff, it's just that the timbre of her voice fits the rock stuff more than it does the other girls'. I first heard her sing a good, solid solo part when I saw a live performance of Chasing Lights - her part is just insanely brilliant. By the time I heard her solo on Forever is Over, I was convinced she was made to sing these kinds of songs - she has the technique and the timbre to pull it off and that middle 8 of hers pretty much made the entire song.

The quiet one who sings DAMN GOOD

The label kind of applies to Nicola more than it does to Rochelle but let's just stick with it, OK?

Girls Aloud: Nicola Roberts
I'll say this now so you know what to expect - Nicola is my favorite voice in Girls Aloud. She's my favorite because her voice is so different that she actually pulls it off very well! Voices like hers that are shrill at times but thin and smooth, if not delivered and thought of well can be very annoying and ugly but Nicola's is beautiful - it's not too much but it's not held back or boring, it's just right. Her voice matches the GA aesthetic the best - she embodies everything GA has and the music they're making.

The Saturdays: Rochelle Wiseman
Rochelle. I first noticed her voice when I saw the video for Issues - I was surprised to hear that voice coming out her her mouth! She sings the part of the verse before Vanessa and when I heard the striking contrast between their voices I was baffled not by Vanessa's but by Rochelle's. Rochelle sounds like a deeper, more predominantly smooth and less excessive version of Vanessa and I personally like those kinds of voices a lot better, as you guys may have noticed over the past few vocal commentaries. Therefore, my favorite voice in The Saturdays is Rochelle.

8 comments:

  1. Nadine vs. Vanessa:

    I get it, Vanessa has the voice but the truth is, she can get a bit shouty at some points. Even though Nadine doesn't have Vanessa's excruciatingly high-octave vocals, she has something that Vanessa doesn't have.

    Kim vs. Frankie

    To be honest, I've never really paid attention to Kimb as compared to the other girls. It's that I really didn't see some attitude in her when she's performing. But I still love her.

    Frankie, on the other hand is the one of the two girls on the Saturdays that I can distinguish their voice. It's quite hard when it comes down to Mollie and Una doesn't it?

    CHERYL vs. MOLLIE

    Cheryl definitely has something more than just her pretty face. I mean, she can't sing like the other girls but I think she's proving to be having mass appeal than the other girls. Maybe it's because of her exposure on National TV.

    NICOLA vs. ROCHELLE

    Hands down to Nicola. She's my second most favourite GA member. She can get a bit too pale but I think she has sheer potential.

    Rochelle - i don't know why but I just don't like her at all. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with the Vanessa thing - but there's something about the timbre of her voice that I personally like! Hahah.

    Kim doesn't have the attitude and like you I didn't really notice her - until I saw her episode of 'Passions'. That was really brilliant. Hahah.

    I had a problem with Mollie and Una as well before but Una's has a deeper timbre.

    Let's just say I think Cheryl's more of a performer than a singer. But she's better off than a lot of other singers, that's for sure.

    Nicola's so different that it rocks! hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love Nicola's voice. If you like her voice you must hear 'It's Magic'.

    Una is probably my favourite voice from The Saturdays. I love hearing her acoustically.

    Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the nail on the head on Rochelle's. I truly think she is the best voice in the Satz, but still Vanessa is my favorite, I mean that range...the girl can saaangggg!!!! Now if she could tone down a little on the shouting everything would be perfect. Chasing Lights from the 1st album is a perfect example of a subdued Vanessa especially in the 1st verse.

    I would die to hear a solo song from Nicola. To me she is so unique, I would imagine something electro-lounge type music for her, fit for an ice queen. Cheryl being the first one to have a solo effort still bewilders me but she's bringing in the $$$ anyway.
    Nadine is a raspy version of Vanessa, and at times even her Irish accent comes through the songs.

    Maybe you could try Una's 'Sorry' EP, pre-Satz, her voice is less raspier there, but yeah, her middle 8 in FIO is the fierceness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thechemistryisdead - Yes, I have! GA fan here - I know my stuff! Hahah.

    Una didn't match their early euro-y image very much but her voice sounds great on songs like 'Forever is Over' now! Hahah.

    Thanks! Glad you liked it.

    TJ - I agree with Ken when he said that Vanessa can get a bit scream-y at times but yes, I do think the girl knows how to properly sing her head off!

    AMEN! hahah. If Nicola released some solo stuff I'd literally fall at her feet. Cheryl has a voice, she can sing but compared to the other 4 she's the weakest.

    Yeah and like I said her voice is a little deeper.

    I've heard of that EP but never got around to listening to it. Maybe I should! Hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I like this post. Golden commentary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me nadine and vanessa are in a tie-there both amazing cnt decide,
    kimberley and frankie tie too but kimba does have a bit better voice.
    Cheryl wins in da next round shes more than a pretty face shes absolutley stunning-and she does have an unusual unique voice.
    Sarah wins da next 1.im irish so u think i should stay with una but she cnt sing dat well nd sarahs more rocky.
    Nicola wins da next 1 dna y but cnt stand rochelle shes an ugly pain.sry
    ga win

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Nadines Voice but I think if Nadine & Vanessa had a sing off you wouldnt be able to hear Nadine - Not that thats a good thing. What you see is what you get with Vanessa's voice but Nadine has a very Jazz voice.

    Kimberley should get more solo stuff shes just as quirky as Nicola when given the chance she has a Dusty Springfield tone to her voice. Frankie is only good for her Haircut

    Sarah is terrible! She ruins alot of live songs and can make Girls Aloud seem look bad she often goes for long high notes then misses the key. Una's solo bit in Higher is the bit I always remember its classic.

    Nicola is a undiscovered Gem her voice is not given the credit it deserves she has the potenial to go worldewide with it. I love Rochelle's deeper voice its a nice change from the usual higher notes of the The Sats.

    Girls Aloud win but my ideal band's would be:

    Nadine, Una, Kimberley, Nicola & Rochelle.

    then

    Vanessa, Cheryl, Mollie, Sarah & Frankie.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing