I've noted on every possible instance that I don't like rap - I don't see the point in it overtaking a whole song and I don't know anything about it. However this new special that requires me to comment on a lot of Korean bands that have members who don't sing but just rap and to be able to do that I have to know my stuff. I don't want to comment on something I don't know about because then I won't be able to defend or stand by my opinions - I have to at least know the facts.
I'm a stubborn person, if I really want to learn something I'll learn it myself so my opinion on it is as not-biased as it can be. I don't ask people to tell me what makes something good very often because then their views on that will rub off on me - I want to think for myself and I want to have my own opinions.
However, rapping is something I know absolutely nothing about. As in NOTHING. Even if I keep on listening to rap I won't pick anything up because I don't even know the very basics. Earlier today I asked a friend of mine what made a good rapper and she started rattling on - her opinions contradicted what I'd been reading about who people think is good and who people think isn't. I won't get into the details but it all boils down to this - I want to listen to as many opinions as possible so I know what I'm dealing with here.
SO, if I may I'd like to ask you guys a few questions. You can respond in the comments section as shortly or as lengthy-ly as possible - whatever gets what you want to say across. Doesn't matter if you know a little or a lot, I just want to hear what people think. I need help for this part of the special QUICK so once I get this all straightened out my commentaries on Big Bang and 2NE1 will be raring to go!
1. What makes a good rapper? What makes a bad one?
2. Who's a good rapper in your opinion? Why?
3. Are most good rappers also good singers? Why?
4. What is a good rap part? What does it have and what doesn't it?
5. I've heard that good rappers aren't monotonous when they rap - can there be rapping that's monotonous AND good at the same time?
6. In terms of timbre, color and tone - what kinds of voices make good rappers? Is there a pattern or does it not matter what your voice is like?
7. To K-pop fans, what do you think of the following idol/vocal band member or singer rappers and what makes them good or bad? I've already weighed them as singers but I'd like to know what you think of them as rappers:
U-Know Yunho DBSK
Micky Yoochun DBSK
Hero Jaejoong DBSK (he only has one recorded rap but I'd still like to know what you think)
G-Dragon Big Bang
Eunhyuk Super Junior
Shindong Super Junior
Miryo Brown Eyed Girls
Ha Joo Yeon Jewelry
Thanks guys, your answers are very much appreciated and taken seriously! Hahah.