[April 30, 2011] MBC Music Core Highlights+Commentary

Sorry for being MIA yesterday, I had still to take care of and I wasn't feeling very well. Even now I have this horrid horrid migraine that even extra strength, "fast-acting" Advil can't remedy and any second now I'm gonna cry out in pain LOL. But enough about me. Today's MuCore was pretty bare, but that's mainly because a lot of the acts have already said goodbye, and some are just missing LOL.


Video credit goes to CrazyCarrot270@YT.

X-5 - "The Show Is Over"
You know, for rookies like them they're outstanding. Not just kinda good, outstanding - one of the best new bands I've seen in a while. What made me say that? Their consistently strong vocals on all three music shows - this is MuCore, which dooesn't have the best sound in the world, and they're using handsfree mics. To sing live. While running around stage and dancing their asses off. I mean they slip up sometimes, but a lot less than your regular rookie. The song is strong for a group of their stature as well. I mean they can definitely do better, but for their debut this is really good. Good to know the truckloads of money spent on them went to a good cause.

A Pink - "Don't Know"
K so I'm writing this now with one of the worse migraines I've had in months and the stage is hurting my eyes - I had to invert the colors of my screen just to watch it without crying out in pain. Today's performance was mimed, thankfully for my ears, but not for them. They need the practice, and they need to be able to prove themselves in the near future - miming is like the worse thing to do at this point. A big no, A Pink.

Infinite - "Nothing's Over"
Awww, I can't believe they're already doing their last round of live performances this weekend - I actually liked this song! And thankfully, everyone's singing it pretty consistently now - the vocals are pretty much as strong as they can get for a song as melodic as this. And you have to hand it to them - the chorus is pretty tricky. It sounds easy, but it's not that easy to sing. The way they cut the song into like 2+ minutes was kinda sloppy and awkward too.

Rainbow - "To Me"
Their vocals are kinda soft today, I blame it on the handsfree mics, but they're actually pretty consistent and not half bad. They're getting used to the song (it's about time) and they're getting used to performing it - all of them.

CN Blue -"Love Girl"
The stage today was.. interesting. The cinematography was.. more like for a commercial. The vocals were.. Yonghwa. And once again, the guitars weren't plugged in. You know MuCore, it's bad to zoom in on the drummer, and his sticks, when someone like me is watching. I'll leave it at that LOL.

f(x) - "Danger"
After winning MuBank yesterday (Yay! Happy for them. :D), it's like everyone's vocals suddenly went up really close to the 6-member (and less) SM band standard, which is incredibly high. And considering that this is a song you can't really sing, that's really good. Luna's high note got hella strong, and Sulli's voice is starting to shine. Ooooh I can't wait for the day they get a song that'll turn non-fans into fans and fans into rabid fans - they're pretty close!

4Minute - "Mirror Mirror"
Outdoor performance, eh? Hyun A's improved A LOT, Jiyoon is still brilliant, I still hate the maknae, and Gayoon sounds the same. They're a lot more comfortable singing the song now, but that's about the only change. The attitude is there, the presence, the grace (one way or another).

After School - "Let's Step Up" + "Shampoo"
Yay! They're back! The intro was cool, even if I liked their outfits better yesterday. It was oozing with After School presence, and everything about it makes you wanna stop what you're doing and just watch. The vocals on 'Shampoo' today were definitely a lot better than yesterday - UEE sounds like less of a mess (but still is one), there is in fact a voice hidden under new girl's still-weak live vocals, Nana has actually held a melody, Bekah has gotten a grip on herself and delivered, Raina sounds a lot stronger and you can actually hear Jooyeon now! Looks like I'll have to do a lot less begging to Pledis now that their vocals aren't a complete mess anymore. Yayyy.

Big Bang -"Stupid Liar"
Well, it looks like this chapter of k-pop is coming to a close - HoMin are gone, and Big Bang/Infinite are at their goodbye stages already. It was a good phase, if I may say so. Like I always say when they do this song, it's literally like Big Bang just dropped everything, ran to the stage, and had a blast. You just wanna have fun after watching this. The vocal parts, minus GD's pseudo-vocals, were strong again, as they should be.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, the things about CN Blue being not plugged in has made me curious...I've seen them perform their songs live/plugged in on showcases and concerts so they can...and then I read on youtube that apparently the weekly music shows don't let them plug-in because it takes too long or something. So is it that they aren't allowed to plug in by MuCore/MBank/Inki, or that they don't plug in?

    lol. It confuses me since they plug in live on actual performances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, music shows like mucore/inki etc don't like plugging in instruments simply because it takes a lot more time and effort to set up (in comparison to using MR). Its a shame but thats how music shows have been treating bands for a while :(
    However there are pre-recorded music shows like m!soundplex and yoo hee yeol's sketchbook that plug in instruments and let their guests, like CN Blue, really play live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you X-5 and B1A14 seem like very promising groups, and are the best rookie groups i have seen in a long time.

    Jiyoon has always had the best voice, but they kept pushing Gayoon as the main vocalist because her voice is "big". In my opinion, Gayoon growls sometimes, but then again when Jiyoon tries to hit hight notes, it sounds like there is something stuck in her throat. I still think Hyunah looks a little awkward when she performs (Sohyun and Jiyoon do it better), but she isn't bad. I respect your opinion on the maknae (Sohyun), even though i like her.

    A pink, is really starting to rot my smile. They're trying way to hard to be cute and its so annoying. I swear if i see them do that again i will throw my computer out the window (not literally XD). Its even worse then Snsd's cutesy stage. Plus, aside from one member, their vocals aren't that great.

    F(x) is definitely improving musically, but i wish they gave Amber some more rap lines at least to give the song more dimension.

    I love afterschool's tap dance, i thought that was pretty neat and didn't know that Bekah can sing. I LOVE BEKAH, JUNG AH, AND GAHEE!!! Although, Jung ah didn't sound as strong in this performance. Oh well, she's still great though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you X-5 and B1A14 seem like very promising groups, and are the best rookie groups i have seen in a long time.

    Jiyoon has always had the best voice, but they kept pushing Gayoon as the main vocalist because her voice is "big". In my opinion, Gayoon growls sometimes, but then again when Jiyoon tries to hit hight notes, it sounds like there is something stuck in her throat. I still think Hyunah looks a little awkward when she performs (Sohyun and Jiyoon do it better), but she isn't bad. I respect your opinion on the maknae (Sohyun), even though i like her.

    A pink, is really starting to rot my smile. They're trying way to hard to be cute and its so annoying. I swear if i see them do that again i will throw my computer out the window (not literally XD). Its even worse then Snsd's cutesy stage. Plus, aside from one member, their vocals aren't that great.

    F(x) is definitely improving musically, but i wish they gave Amber some more rap lines at least to give the song more dimension.

    I love afterschool's tap dance, i thought that was pretty neat and didn't know that Bekah can sing. I LOVE BEKAH, JUNG AH, AND GAHEE!!! Although, Jung ah didn't sound as strong in this performance. Oh well, she's still great though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, i don´t like X5. Hype so much, and ... I was disappointed. BUT, they are best rookies, now,they aren´t rookies... 2 boys was in 3chongsa, and 2 boys in Xing. Because this, your stage´s presence is better than other.
    Your senior (and underrated) The Boss is better, so far. Well, i will looking for, after all, Open is a good company in seek talents...

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing