[#48] Block B - "Her"

From: "HER"
Released: July
Territory: South Korea
Previous Best of Entries: 2013: [#23] "Be The Light"
Other notable song(s) from 2014: "Jackpot"

Block B entered by radar just recently -- I wasn't very interested in them when they debuted, but when they made their big comeback last year I thought "Be The Light" was a solid effort (on top of the fact that I genuinely liked the song) so I was looking forward to what they'd offer this year.

While I wasn't as enamored with Block B's 2014 releases as I was with "Be The Light," I think "HER" was a well-thought through, well-executed and produced package that I've listened to more than just a few times over the course of the year.

"HER" is one big mess but it's artistic chaos, I'd say. It's somewhat similar DBSK's "Rising Sun" in that the elements themselves aren't actually fast-paced, but the juxtapositions and transitions between each part is what makes the song lively. Every single second is maximized, every single second has a purpose. The split seconds of silence, for example, further emphasize the elements it serves to transition.

But ultimately, what I like most about "HER" is the fact that Block B took a risk with this -- they toed that very, very, very fine and dangerous line between arrogant and confident. (A line which even groups like EXO have failed to balance.) And for me, Block B succeeded. "HER" is fun, it's tongue-in-cheek, and it uses the arrogance to its advantage, as a creative decision that drives the song as a whole rather than a kind of execution that can potentially damage. It's rare that I see a group this comfortable with their confidence.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing