I'm Back!: Jordin Sparks - Battlefield + JLS

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCKKKK! As you may have seen on Twitter - I'm indeed back.

So I opened up my Twitter once I finally got home and what did I hear? Something about Jordin Sparks. Seeing as I loved Paper Sut, I jumped at the opportunity and gave the song a listen.

I know this song is going to be a huge hit because it sounds like one. It was made like one, by people who do these kinds of stuff and it truly has hit potential. I'm not however, gushing about it. It's got a gimmick but it's not enough for me and the melody is nothing I haven't heard before - it sounds even more formulaic than all the other 'big, amazing hits'.

If I was to compare this to another song I'd say it sounds a lot like Bleeding Love and that's not just because Ryan Tedder wrote it but because it really sounds like it. I may hate Bleeding Love to death but to it's defense - it once had a strong melody for me(before it exploded and I heard it waaaay too much.) and it had something about it that made you notice it(good or bad, take your pick).

Probably the best part of the song is the middle 8 and I know I always stress the importance but a good middle 8 is not enough - it can make or break a song but if it makes it the rest of the song should be close or just as brilliant. I've tried my best to like it but after listening to it a couple of times there's no magic like the one I got with One Step At A Time or Next To You.

I want Jordin to sing all these beautiful songs - songs that make you want to smile. Sweet, pop-y songs that should grow as she matures yet keep that vulnerability and pleasantness her first album had.

It's going to be a hit, I'm sure of it but I don't like it because it sounds like a hit - generic, formulaic and nothing special.

3.6/5

Then I went and did the rounds on my favorite blogs and what else did I hear of? JLS!!!!!! Right now they're sounding like a little V Factory mixed with a lot of NLT. In short - amazing. NLT's gone and V Factory are getting closer and closer to a proper single release so this song has just made my day, I now officially have a replacement for NLT.

I don't know if this is the direction they're taking - they might still be in an experimental stage but this song certainly works for them. I don't know if it's good for them to sound very American but I commend Simon and Louis for giving the guys a chance to sing something upbeat and current.
4.8/5!

3 comments:

  1. whoa whoa WHOA! 4.8 out of 5 for JLS. Now i love those crazy fellas, wished they'd won the x factor, but this song isn't that great. i want it to be great. it should be great. but all in all it's a quite nice pop song in the should've been better category. In my opinion. Bored of Jordin's single now. I overplayed it :S

    Glad you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why but I really like the new Jordin single. Everybody has their own opinion right? :)

    Anyways, I agree with Paul. The song isn't amazing. I wanted for JLS to have an amazing song because they're really good. I want to see more of them and of course their music. Let's wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I do agree about you two on JLS - I listened over to the song again and I think I was a little too excited about the fact that they actually have something out and it's not a ballad like something Louis and Simon together would do. The verses are a bit too tight but lazy and the chorus sounds weak. Probably at the moment the song's down to a 4/5 - I do really appreciate Simon and Louis' effort NOT to make another Westlife.

    Paul - I know! Overplay it even once and you're like 'ugh, this one AGAIN?'

    Ken - Yeah, you like it - completely fine with me. It has strong points but I don't think they're enough to win me over. Like I said, there's no magic.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing