HSM3

This was first on my personal blog but it's music-related so I decided to post it here..
I watched High School Musical 3 for the first time a while ago, and I cried. Now you might think, why would someone like me cry over something like that?

I cried because three years ago on June 5, 2006 at seven-thirty in the evening I was sitting in front of the TV, my thumb on the record button of the remote pointed to the VCR recorder, ready to tape and document the first airing of High School Musical in Asia. I cried because three years ago, I bought the limited edition soundtrack the day it hit stores here and I still have the receipt to prove it. I cried because two years ago, for my grade school graduation, my cousin in the US sent me the Remix DVD and it's there on my dresser, right next to my Westlife DVDs.

I cried because two years ago, I was waiting day and night to hear the second movie's soundtrack and when I did, I was blown away. I cried because a week later, I saw the movie before any of my classmates saw it and it wasn't what I was expecting. I cried because last year, I was the first one to let my classmates hear Now Or Never but I never watched the movie in the cinema.

I cried because the songs are brilliant, because every other new musical nowadays is compared to it. I cried because I'd like to think I've witnessed Vanessa Hudgens, Zac Efron, Corbin Bleu and all the other main cast members go from DCOM actors/actresses to superstars.

But most of all, I cried because whether or not me or you or anyone else likes these movies, it defined my generation. This will be the movie that people in the future will associate us with, not Twilight or any other movie, THIS is the one that we'll carry with us to wherever we go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing