The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

I have school tomorrow, so will post some stuff tonight.I've said it before but I'll say it again, The Ting Tings are annoyingly awesome. Say what you like about them giving you headaches and stuff like that but at least their stuff is more fun than what any other R&B or pop singer gave us last year.

Other people have brilliant songs that aren't really noticed, amazing melodies that make you want to cry and in-your-face marketing campaigns that annoy you but what do the Ting Tings have? Hooks that are literally hooks. Hooks that after one listen, get stuck in your head and you won't feel at peace until you hear it again and again or go out and buy the album or single.

If the hooks weren't any good I would say that it's on great publicity campaign but since the hooks are brilliant and the songs just don't want to leave my head, I'll put it down to sheer brilliance. They're not repetitive either with it comes to the songs, each song is different but the annoyingness(is that even a word?) neatly ties everything together. I won't be talking about all the songs, but from the previous paragraphs I think you get what this album is about.

Great DJ sounds like your run of the mill guitar-based Brit song but everything changes when you hear the hook. It's not as annoying as some of the other songs on the album but it's annoying enough to have charted inside the UK Top 40. However, that song was just a taste of what's to come.

That's Not My Name is probably one of the most annoying songs you will ever hear(at least that's what I think!). It doesn't seem very annoying during the first verse but starting from the build-up the chorus, everything changes. By the time the chorus kicks in, you may very well get a headache(I did when I first heard it and my mom does whenever I play it!) but it doesn't matter, the song is brilliant! I remember the first time I heard this song, it was on MTV here and I was like 'what the hell is that song?' and I got researching right away. It's the epitome of annoying awesomemess, to put it simply.

One of my favorite tracks on the album has got to be Fruit Machine, it's like a mix of That's Not My Name and Shut Up and Let Me Go. It's got the annoyingness that TNMN has but it's got the melodiousness that Shut Up and Let Me Go has. Speaking of Shut Up and Let Me Go, the annoying part of that song is the instrumental, the vocals are not as annoying as TMNM but still in true Ting Tings style, it indeed sticks in your head.

I quite like Traffic Light, it's a cute song, a nice rest from all the head-banging, repetitive songs. The instrumental's like an into for a kid's TV show and there's actually singing all throughout the song! Not that I'm saying they should do more of this, I like the annoying stuff but this is a sweet song. I like. haha.

So, to sum up the album:
Best Track: That's Not My Name and Fruit Machine, I can't choose!
Better Tracks: Shut Up and Let Me Go, Traffic Light, Great DJ, Keep Your Head, We Started Nothing
Least Favorite Track: Impacilla Carpisung hasn't made as big an impression on me as the other tracks have yet.
THE RATING: 4.5/5

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I friggen love them. I think you hit it on the head with the "annoying" it factor. It's just something about them that makes you stand up and take notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watch The Ting Tings on Soul Nation 2009 in Jakarta. Wheewww... what a crowd there!

    Yes, based on music genre, they're really not soul or R&B musician (they are pure pop band IMO, agree with your opinion with "annoying" factor) but the Soul Nation's committee made them a headline to invite much much people, and they got it!

    Let me share my experience when I watched them, can you imagine that when The Ting Tings was on the stage, they make Arrested Development -performed on the same time but different stage - was being ignored.

    Only two people on the stage, but it felt and heard like there are 10 people on stage. Their sound is very rich and witty, hehehehe....

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing