[#27] FIESTAR - "Turn Off The Lights"

From: "Black Label"
Previous Best of Entries: 2014: [#50] "One More"
Other notable song(s) from 2015: n/a

FIESTAR is one of those groups I really want to like, because they made a promising debut and one way or another they've put out some pretty solid singles over the years. But I never seem to be totally blown away by anything about them. I mean they're a great group with some solid singers, but that's all they've ever been: solid. Which, in the realm of b-level groups, is really good. But I've been waiting for the mind-blowing brilliance from them, which I haven't really gotten.

That said though, in terms of solid releases, I admit that "Black Label" was probably the best FIESTAR have done. The entire EP was cohesive, the songs equally strong in terms of production quality and performance, which I was pleasantly surprised with. "Turn Off The Lights" is like a generic slightly sexy/slightly spunky girl group track done with great production quality, a good arrangement (that real bass section sold it for me), and with a melody that accentuated the girls' vocals.

So while FIESTAR have yet to blow me away, as long as they keep on releasing well-executed songs, hopefully the artistry and experimentation will follow.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing