[#36] Nine Muses - "Hurt Locker"

From: "9MUSES S/S EDITION"
Previous Best of Entries: 2011: [#50] "Figaro" / 2012: [#24] "News" / 2013: [#4] "Wild"
Other notable song(s) from 2015: "Fancy", "Yes or No"

"Wild" remains, to me, one of the best K-Pop girl group tracks every produced, and 2013 was the year I wish I didn't have my one song per artist rule so I could show what an incredible year Nine Muses had. Unfortunately for us all (Nine Muses included), the glory that was 2013 for Nine Muses was never repeated. I'll admit that I was afraid when Sera left, and their first few months post-Sera were rocky in terms of material and finding their grounding.

But "Hurt Locker" I think is going in the right direction, because it's both a nod to their "Wild" days, but also a departure and a process of figuring out where they lie as a group without Sera.

As a song, "Hurt Locker" can tend to sound cheap in the wrong way, especially at the chorus. But for me it's more or less balanced out by the bubbling, dramatic verses with striking yet simple vocal lines and rich instrumentation. It's one part girly, with a melody that flatters the girls' vocals, but one part edgy with the bass loop and the choice of synth.

Over-all, "Hurt Locker" is a well-produced track. Musically it's not the best, and it lacks a solid but not sharp hook, but it's a passable start for a new era in Nine Muses' repertoire.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing