[#41] JooHeon, HyungWon, I.M (MONSTA X) - "Interstellar" Feat. Yella Diamond

From: "NO MERCY"
Previous Best of Entries: First appearance
Other notable song(s) from 2015: n/a

Out of curiosity earlier this year, I followed Mnet and Starship's "No Mercy." While I have my qualms about the show, I was pleased to have discovered quite a few strong performances and a well-done original track like "Interstellar."

If you've read enough of my reviews, you know that I'm not the biggest rap fan. I've learned to appreciate it more because of K-Pop, mainly because I was able to grasp more or less its basic principles. But, I'll be quick to flat-out admit that I'm not capable enough to scrutinize it as much as I am more "traditional" elements of music.

That said, as someone who's more inclined towards the melodic, "Interstellar" has become one of the few rap-heavy songs that I genuinely like and will go out of my way to hear. And I think it's because the lines between rap and melody are blurred on "Interstellar" — the melody is in short, rhythmic lines, while the rap verses are so rhythmic that a few more pushes and they can be sang.

There is groove and a strong sense of ("traditional") rhythm in "Interstellar," and that much I appreciate.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing