[#28] G.Soul - "You"

From: "Coming Home"
Previous Best of Entries: First Appearance
Other notable song(s) from 2015: "Coming Home", "First Love"

Whenever I put together my year-end lists, I'm 100% sure that there are releases from the year that I've missed. And if it weren't for recommendations from you guys on Twitter, I wouldn't have heard G.Soul's debut release. I had heard of him when he debuted earlier this year, but for some reason I never got around to listening to his material.

"You" is one of my personal favorites from G.Soul, because I think the simplicity of the song brings out his strengths as an artist. "You" is a strong production—rich instrumentation that follows the dynamics of the melody and neither weighs the rest of the song down nor hides behind it. That melody is beautiful and flowy at certain parts, but firm when it has to be. And G.Soul's vocals are really brought out by the dynamics of the melody—from the gentle, graceful verses to the soaring chorus.

"Coming Home" doesn't sound like a debut EP at all, and "You" sounds like a release from a seasoned artist who is comfortable enough in his own identity to know how much to experiment. And of course, it helps that G.Soul has a gorgeous and equally interesting timbre to his voice.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing