[#32] f(x) - "Hot Summer"

From: "Hot Summer (Pinocchio Repackaged)" (Album)
Released: June 2011, South Korea
Rating: 3.00

Despite being a cover of Monrose's forever legendary "Hot Summer", f(x) (or SME, rather) managed to give the song a definite f(x) sound, what with the processed vocals and synth-laden sound. It's a pop song in the trust sense of the word, and it's one of those songs that best represents the SME sound for this year.


Of course I crave for something like "Lachata" again, and basically everything between this and that was blegh, but SME has paved the f(x) sound pretty well. Trendy, edgy, not too sexy, and youthful with just the right amount of fun. Even with the heavy synths and autotune, "Hot Summer" manages to sound fun and a bit fresh, actually.

I cry for the injustice served to Luna's vocals, but on the other hand, Sulli has really shaped up and gotten better in terms of vocals. Now all we need is for Amber to get more singing lines, and Victoria to not get any until she learns how to sing and not whisper.

In standard SME style, everything about "Hot Summer" has been choreographed to oblivion - every note, every little bit of vocal gymnastics, every little detail meticulously looked after, and it shows. But then again, that's what SM is, and it works for their acts. "Hot Summer" is one of the songs I couldn't stop listening to earlier this year, for that very reason.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about this song. Honestly, the first time I heard it, I was disappointed but after a few listens, I was thoroughly hooked. I still find myself listening and dancing to it even though it's winter already.
    The only question I have is, you didn't mention Krystal's vocal abilities as a part of this song. Maybe it's because she's my bias but I can't help to wonder what you thought of it? :)
    --Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this song, it was a really good song for the summer and I hope Sulli ends going down the same rout as Taemin, because she has improved so much. Surprisingly, she has a very nice tone to her voice. Agreed on Luna, she has a gorgeous voice :( I also want to see Amber shine in the vocal department because i think she has potential.

    Just out of curiosity, and this is completely un-kpop, but what do you think of this new British boyband that has come out called One Direction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly agree, seriously. I never thought you'd put an f(x) song into your 'Best of 2011' list, but I really agree on this one. This song is so thoroughly f(x), thank goodness for that.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing