[#44] A Pink - "MY MY"

From: "Snow Pink" (Album)
Released: November 2011, South Korea
Rating: 2.45

If you're interested, I also wrote a much more tame and simplified review for my soompi column here.

One of the few reasons why this is on the list, and rather high up for a song, and act, like this, is because I absolutely adore the idea of this recording. Never mind the pathetic live performances or the saccharine sweet music video, the song brings me, and you guys too, back to the late 90's/early 2000's golden age of your ultimate Swedish-produced, wannabe pop princess debut single, complete with the "Baby One More Time" rip-off video.


Those were the days.

What I like best about the song is that it's managed to take the girls' really shrill, to the point of annoying, vocals and make use of them. First in the way they were treated, which created a bit of an echo and I assume their vocals were double-tracked, and second in the actual melody and structure of the song. Short lines, lots of breaths and breaks, and the turn-over between member solos is pretty fast. That and the verses are pretty short, actually, or at least the line distribution makes it seem like that.

The song itself is really lively, kinda like "Love Power", but female vocals, A Pink's soft and sometimes incompetent vocals in particular, give it a much gentler sound. "MY MY" sounds really warm, and if I may say so, the way everything was mixed and put through post-prod made the song sound like a fur ball.

I kid you not.

If fur balls were a sound, this song would be one with slightly sharper fur, but the fur ball nonetheless. AND, that makes it the perfect alarm song. In fact, when I'm not in a hurry to wake up (in which case I blast "Rising Sun" or "Me, In" from my alarm), this is the song I use. Fur ball. Enough said.

1 comments:

  1. Why do they remind me so much of SNSD? The V formation when they dance, the one-hook-move-and-a-bunch-of-other-random-steps choreography, the one girl that's the designated note-belter, even the outfits- and the ending pose!
    I can't even...

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing