[#9] BEAST - "불러보지만 (Though I Call)"

From: "Fiction and Fact" (Album)
Released: May 2011, South Korea
Rating: 4.10

I swear, I keep changing the songs at the last-minute. When I locked the list, the BEAST song I chose was "You", and it's a gorgeous song, but as I listened to it throughout the month, I got bored. Here comes "Though I Call" to the rescue. Actually, this song was one of my first favorites on the album, but I guess time when against it so when I was choosing songs last month, I completely forgot about it. Thank goodness I remembered it in time.

2011 was amazing for BEAST, with "Fiction and Fact" easily being one of the best albums of the year. The A&R was spot-on, and the delivery impeccable -- they tried hard, and it shows. Of course that probably cost Cube an arm and leg, thus leaving nothing for everyone else under them, but I can deal with that. Cube has a lot of redeeming to do in 2012 though, and it better start with G.NA.

But anyway. "Though I Call" is a lot like me other favorite BEAST songs, actually -- "내 여자친구를 부탁해 (Say No)" and "Oasis". They're the songs that really show them putting an effort into their vocals, because let's face it, they weren't the best when they debuted. But, once again, hard work pays off, and their vocals have greatly improved.

The song sounds so BEAST, with the synths, the rapping and the melody all thrown together, from the opening alone you know it's a BEAST song. But it also has grace in the delivery of the vocals and the instrumental. All the elements explode when they need to, but also know when to hold back.

And really, the sweeping melody and the simple but well-orchestrated instrumental make the song such a joy to listen to.

2 comments:

  1. I was actually guessing that you will have 2 or 3 Beast songs in your top 10 list because Fiction and Fact really is the best album of the Year. But then, I wasn't expecting Though I call to be one of the songs. I preferred You or On Rainy Days but you had your reasons explained right? Haha. One thing I am really expecting is to see Fiction in your Top 5 list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paul Didn't she say that there will only be one song per artist from the same album?
    Anyway, I absolutely agree about this song, it is very well done.
    I am loving your countdown this year~ :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing