Billie Piper - Girlfriend

Relatively short, I don't have that much to say, although I adore the song.

Ah, yes. Gone were the days when pop looked this effortless and pop princesses came in truckloads.

I don't exactly miss that period, maybe because I didn't know anything about music then(mind you, I was maybe three or four when this was released.. although I vaguely remember saying that I liked either Baby Spice or Posh Spice during the 90's, I forgot.), but now that I look back on it, it seemed like a very fun period to be in. And when I say fun, I mean it.

Even if this song is on the slower side, it's still really fun, and dance-able. It seems to me that a lot of stuff from the 90's could be sung with a dance routine. A lot. I mean, the Spice Girls were really the epitome of fun then, but Billie Piper was pretty close, with the songs, dance routines and the over-all image, something that was apparently very important, and still is.

The concept of putting a single out back then seemed so out of reach, it wasn't as easy as it is now. I mean, nowadays we've got Myspace and American Idol or The X Factor whereas back then, you had to either know someone in the business or blow someone in the business away live.

Which is probably why people made the most out of it. I mean, look at the amount of pop stars that were constantly being 'created' by record companies, the figure's huge. Many failed, but the ones who didn't found success that unfortunately, didn't last that long. Some managed to carry over to the new millennium, but a lot of artists were stuck in the 90's. Billie was one of them.

Although her 2000 album wasn't as successful as her first album, she'll be remembered in music for her earlier singles, Because We Want To, Girlfriend, She Wants You and Honey To The Bee, four amazing singles and equally amazing songs.

THE RATING: 5/5(priceless stuff..)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing