[#29] 2PM - "My House"

From: "No.5"
Previous Best of Entries: 2009: "I Hate You" and "1:59" / 2011: [#26] "Don't You Know" / 2013: [#44] "Come Back When You Hear This Song"
Other notable song(s) from 2015: n/a

Like a lot of other K-Pop groups, I have a love-hate relationship with 2PM. On one hand, being JYP's only major boyband for years meant they get top-tier material. On the other, there isn't enough genuine musical talent to go around the band, which I think cripples their ability to experiment with new sounds and styles.

But, "My House" is one of those releases that I hope means 2PM going in the right direction. I've heard enough of "Hands Up" over the past few years, I think we all need to hear a more mature, polished 2PM. Because they've proven capable of pulling off songs like "ADTOY" or "Come Back When You Hear This Song" before, and there's no reason why they shouldn't keep doing it.

"My House" is pretty melody-heavy for a 2PM song, but the phrasing and line cuts were definitely tailored for 2PM (which isn't a problem). What I especially like about the track is that even if it's a very slick, polished sound, there is still punch and character in it, courtesy of 2PM's execution. There is a fire to the vocals, there is an element of fun and effortlessness that we don't often see in their heavier performances. I think it's safe to say that "My House" is one of my favorite 2PM tracks ever.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing