INTERVIEW: Kate Miller-Heidke


Classically-trained, critically acclaimed - WHOA. To be able to interview someone like Kate Miller-Heidke is an honor and puts this right beside my interviews with The Sugababes and Agnes Carlsson this year. I just CANNOT believe it.

1. Your US album is set for release next year, are you doing anything especially for that release, things you would never do if you were releasing material back in Australia?

I will be parachuting, naked, into Times Square. Then I will attend a performance of Mary Poppins.

2. You're an indie artist (I think. Sony Independent?), how did it feel when your album hit #1 and got a platinum certification? Were you expecting it?

I don't know how being signed to Sony Music classifies me as indie, but hell, I appreciate the sentiment. I feel indie at heart. I like beards and cheap whisky. I was totally gobsmacked at the success of Curiouser.

3. Being classically trained (so I've heard), has it affected how you make pop music in any way? If so, how?

Opera is a completely ridiculous art form, and sometimes I like to incorporate some of those elements into my pop songs. The storytelling, the theatricality, and the occasional irrelevant display of virtuosity. Also, singing swear words in an opera voice is funny.

4. Who are you as an artist?

I'm sorry, I can't answer that question.

5. How do you respond to negative comments about your music or do you even respond to them at all?

I turn the anger and hatred inward until it starts to eat my soul. Then, my husband makes me sign a contract not to google myself for a month. That helps.

6. Do you produce your own material or would you like to go into production in the near future?

My husband Keir Nuttall is my main producer, but we work together.

7. How did all your previous musical projects contribute to your career as a singer/songwriter?

I'm not sure. I have played music all my life.

8. You're the opening act for Ben Folds, so I've heard. How is it like touring with him?

It was unforgettable. I've been a fan of Ben Folds for a long time, but getting to watch his show side of stage for an entire tour was inspiring and humbling. He's one of the most spontaneous, moving, clever and funny performers I've ever seen. His audiences were generous, warm, smart music-lovers. Also, we got to see a lot of America. Montana is very beautiful.

9. What do you want to be remembered for in the next 10 or 20 years?

That one time in Wichita when I peed on stage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing